5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Chamber of Commerce Membership
Many communities have a local chamber of commerce which is an organization that is meant to foster business development and really interact with businesses on the behalf of the community. They generally have a membership fee for businesses to join and that gets the business a wide array of benefits. These vary from getting listed in their directory (online and offline), access to the full membership list, and various other things usually including the right to say you are a member of the chamber of commerce. So once you have paid the fee and are a member, what’s next? Here are some good ways to maximize the value from your membership:
- Attend the mixers and events – One of the most important facets of a chamber is the events that they hold in order to get to know local businesses and for them to get to know each other. This is a great opportunity to talk to other businesses that serve your community about specific ways you can work together to drive more business to each other.
- Use the membership list to reach out to the other members. Grab a coffee or lunch and invest some time in those relationships. It used to be that the directory of local businesses created by the chamber was the most coveted aspect of the organization and why most members joined. The value of the directory has declined as more activity has gone online but they are still maintained and an easy way to keep track of people that you want to talk to.
- Host a mixer or event – Why not invite the chamber to your business for a meeting so they can see where you are and you can tell them even more about what you do. If you have the space to hold a meeting that is perfect but if not you might want to rent out a conference room that is appropriate to host the event.
- Use the chamber to stay informed or get questions answered – There is usually more going on in your community than you have access to. You might be able to get information on potential partnerships, new businesses, or even competitors by staying informed.
- Setup a referral ring – This will be the key to making those dues pay off for you. With Referral Ring you can now make it easy for other businesses to work with you.
Your local chamber of commerce can be a great source of information and now additional revenue. The reality is that is exactly what they want as well. They want to help you develop your business as your success is great for the community especially if you are helping our other chamber members as in the process (like you would be with Referral Ring).